It’s October, which means the Pumpkin Spice obsession is in full force across the country. While I don’t opt for the flavour in my coffee, it sure as hell does make a good cupcake. (If you want to skip the baking you can order a box of our pumpkin spiced cupcakes in our online shop)
Pumpkins bring up a lot of happy memories. When I was a kid, my Mum, sister and I would carve a pumpkin every year. It was a proper family tradition in our house and we made a big deal out of it. My favourite part though was not actually carving the pumpkin, but scooping out all the pumpkin guts with our hands – I’ve always loved getting messy.
We had the BEST halloween parties, our Mum always went all out with the decorations and party food – I’m pretty sure those Halloweens are the reason I’m such a keen party planner today!
Pumpkins = happy thoughts. So of course I had to make a cake out of it! I give you my Pumpkin Spiced Cupcake recipe.
A lot of people in Britain turn their nose up at the idea of pumpkin in their dessert, but it makes for a sweet and moist sponge with a bit of a tang. The spices give it a bit of autumny warmth and the cream cheese frosting… well is there anything that isn’t improved by a dollop of cream cheese frosting?
You can play around with different spices and change them to your own taste. The first time I made these I put cloves in but felt that made it just a touch too Christmassy for October.
I also made a video of how to make this recipe which you can watch below or on our YouTube Channel.
I hope you enjoy making these, and even more so eating them!
- 3/4 cup Margarine
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tin Pumpkin Puree
- 2 3/4 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Butter/margarine
- 1 cup Cream Cheese
- 8 cups Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Cream margarine and sugar together until fluffy
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between each one
- Stir in the pumpkin puree
- Fold in half the flour, followed by the oil, then the remainder of the flour
- Mix in the milk, vanilla and spices and stir until incorporated
- Divide into cupcake cases and bake for 15 - 20 minutes
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until combined
- Slowly add the icing sugar and vanilla and then beat for five minutes until smooth and thick